So I've returned from a night of light drinking and am feeling quasi-philosophical. Therefore, you're about to get the knowledge bomb dropped on you.
Tonight I left a small party to start writing my final project for a journalism class I'm taking. I was standing on the balcony at this apartment when I suddenly became enlightened. It turns out that this immaculate insight totaled all of one page and I'm now writing in this...where literally 5 to 10 people will read it....okay so it's more like 3, fuck off. Don't be fooled though, that's a kick ass one page I just wrote. This page was primarily concerned with one thing that I haven't been able to stop thinking about since I threw on my coat and walked off that balcony. Faith.
If you think about it, faith is something that really defines the human race. There is no other organism on the planet that's willing to take extraordinary leaps based on nothing tangible or concrete. No other animal does things that contradict basic instinct. Religion has basically dominated our society for hundreds of years and does so based on archaic writings, the origins of which nobody can trace for certain. In my opinion, faith has held the biggest effect on our social evolution and still does.
Oftentimes faith is an admirable force. Sometimes it can be so absurd that it boggles the mind. For instance, Scientologists believe that by holding two tin cans connected to a needle, one can pinpoint the source of all their problems. Fucking eh.
The only thing it tells me is that John Travolta is a fucking nut who has feathery hair and loves blue sweaters. I'm just kidding...John hates blue sweaters.
In high school english I studied Walt Whitman. In 19th century England there was religion devoted to worshipping him. I'll be damned. (And you'll have to scroll down a little bit for that story.)
I've never been religious in any sense of the word, so I guess I look at faith in a different way. I guess I think of it as faith in one another. Faith in the innate goodwill of the human spirit. If one holds faith in anything else, then how does it help the greater good? Maybe this is the same thing that everyone else believes in and I'm only imagining to be alone in this. Maybe I'm a little drunk. Who knows. I just hope I can read this tomorrow and it makes sense, for both our sakes.
On a final note, over the past few minutes it's taken to write this I've decided that The White Stripes still fucking rock and I need to start listening to them more. That is all.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home