Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Sure, 6 weeks off SOUNDS like a good idea. Then before you know it you're sitting at home, bored, alone, and masturbating twice a day. -Adam Lacks



Adam Lacks, a friend of mine, is a wise man. The previous quote should serve as a warning to all Ohio University students who think they look forward to the daunted OU 6-week Winter Break.

At first one feels as though they need/deserve/yearn for a long reprieve. However, one must remember that college = bizarro high school. While in college, time off is a bad thing. At college you write the rules, at home your mother thinks it's ridiculous that you're getting ready to leave the house at midnight....on a Tuesday. At college you don't have to get a job, at home Dad thinks you should be shouldering a 50-hour work week. At college you can get anything you want 24 hours a day, at home the pizza shop closes at 8.

These are a few of the reasons that suriving the OU winter break is as impossible as trying to hold a conversation with Nathan Weber while there's a puppy in the room. One thing that will be quite shocking to most is the fact that you will feel uncomfortable in your own bed. After spending 10 weeks on a flattened piece of rubber, an actual mattress will cause you to toss and turn. Or in my case, cause you to give up on sleeping, walk downstairs in a robe, brew a pot of coffee, plan out your day, and update your blog. Happy Holidays bitches.

Another obstacle to dodge will be those damned Ohio State kids. While you're at home, asking your parents if they'd be interested in watching "The O.C." and playing beer pong on Thursday night, your Buckeye pals will drop you an occasional drunken call to remind you that they're still having fun. Well...fuck them. There's really nothing else to be said and any OU'er whose had to endure this will agree with me.

Is there anything to be done in order to correct this abhorration? Well I have one idea. Help me run for student senate. Out of the blue? You betcha.

So there it is. I plan on launching a campaign in the next year for a student senate seat. However I plan to run as an independent because having political parties for student government is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. After looking at last year's election results I think I'll need about 400-500 votes. The revolution starts now. Issues that deserve looking into.....

  • Getting a meal-plan system that allows more flexibility. Involving uptown businesses to get them to accept meal plans as a form of payment. Although reps from dining services say the student body doesn't want a debit based system, I feel this is primarily due to misinformation. Let's get on that.
  • Next, adjusting the Fall schedule that is addressed above. Why not start later like Ohio State and Cincinnati so that we don't sit idle for a month and a half. We would get out at the same time and allow freshmen to continue the socialization they've started without an enormous break in the middle. (IE: Just when they get comfortable let's pull the fucking rug out from underneath them!) Once again, this will take a strong, information-spreading campaign.
  • Continuing the push to get a renters database up and running. This way potential renters can look up prospective landlords to see if they're up to snuff. This is something I back all the way. Too many people get screwed by landlords who take advantage of a lack of housing for OU's oftentimes too trusting upperclassmen. (That story isn't that telling, but I read another, that I unfortunately couldn't find, where the same landlord assaulted a tenant. On Court St. Seriously.)

Other reasons to get behind this ticket: I look good wearing a tie. I can wear fake glasses when the situation calls for it. I like you.

So let's get behind this thing and drive it til the wheels fall off. (As the campaign continues I promise to use better political catchphrases.)

Viva la resistance.


1 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger C.W. Spring said...

It's true... at OSU we are still drunk more days of the week than we are sober, and last night I had tacos delivered to my apartment at 3am. TACOS! Best alternative in Cambridge is to go to the damn Walmart at 3am and get some frozen tacos made by kids in a sweatshop. Yeah, I said it.

Also, I would fully support a Mosser White House, let alone OU Senate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home